Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Top Ten Most Frustrating Characters Ever


This week’s topic for the Broke and the Bookish's top ten list was hard, mostly because if I don’t like the characters, I usually stop reading the book. Still, after scanning my book case, I realized there are some characters I could do without.

1. Bella-(Twilight series) Ugh. She’s just so whiney.

2. Buttercup- (The Princess Bride) I have the same problem with iiiher that I have with Bella. They’re useless. The difference is that I happen to love the other characters in the Princess Bride (movie version) so much, I can push my irritation aside. Plus, you’re seeing her through the eyes of a very young boy, it stands to reason he would see In the spirit of complete honesty, I’m not impressed with the book

3. Christina- (Phantom of the Opera) I adore all versions of the Phantom of the Opera, but that doesn’t mean I have to love Christina. She shares many traits with Bella and Buttercup, especially in the book version. In the movie and the play I make her tolerable by telling myself she’s been brain washed. When it comes to characters, I like them to be pro-active. I don’t like them standing around, waiting for things to happen, and then blaming the world when things don’t turn out the way they’d hoped.

4. Nancy Drew-She’s just a little too perfect for my taste. It’s probably why I preferred the Hardy Boys while I was growing up.

5. Jason Grace (Heroes of Olympus) I don’t know what it is about this character, but I grind my teeth together each time he takes a turn as a narrator. His romantic interest, Piper, tends to generate the same response.

6. Eustace Scrubbs (Chronicles of Narnia) I love the series but have always felt this character should take a flying leap off a tall cliff. The only time I truly enjoyed him was after he turned himself into a dragon.

7. Ron Weasley (Harry Potter Series) I understand Ron’s purpose in the series. There’s even large chunks of time when I enjoy him, but there are other times when he drove me nuts.  I always felt he was a bit to wishy-washy

8.  Sarah Byrnes (Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes) I have mixed feelings about adding Sarah to this list. I love this book. It’s a great story, if you haven’t read it you should. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. The Sarah character’s situation is about as bad as things get, but that doesn’t stop her from both irritating and confusing me.  I suspect that was the author’s goal. 

9. Louis (Interview with a Vampire) I don’t know what it was about the character of Louis, but he bothered me.

10. Whitely (A Midsummer’s Nightmare)-Whiney twit. It’s a good thing I liked every other character in this book.

23 comments:

  1. Nancy Drew always tended to annoy me as well. I've got all my mum's battered Trixie Belden books, though...did you ever read those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always sort of took pity on Eustace... I also found him whiny but to be saddled with that name? Poor guy... he's been through enough.

    Louis was a little irritating too. Or maybe that was just in the shadow of Lestat (who I adore). I agree with Buttercup too.

    Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eustace was given a rather unfortunate name.

      I'm really not sure if Louis would have been as irritating on his own, it's just that Lestat was so completely awesome, and Claudia so delightfully creepy, Louis was overshadowed.

      Delete
  3. I have one of the same characters you list. And she is irritating to me for the same reason she is to you.

    Here's my Book Characters Who Could Use a Session With Dr. Phil.. I'd love to have you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chuckled reading a few of these in agreement and then frowned on a few cause I actually love the character. Bella is annoying. I hated the series cuz of her. Eustace was beyond revolting! And his voice in the movie was gut turning. I actually love Ron and Louis. Louis is one of my most loved characters. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Different strokes for different folks. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I never thought of Buttercup or Christine in the same light as Bella, but you're totally right! Great list!
    My TTT. Happy Tuesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely have some of the same, irritating personality traits.

      Delete
  6. I read The Princess Bride for the first time last year after people were talking about how much they love the book & movie and oh man, Buttercup was pretty annoying. Should've added her on my list, I didn't understand how people found her endearing...

    Here's my list of 10 irritating/frustrating characters =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't enjoy the book. I think I found her more tolerable in the movie because she was being shown through the eyes of a ten year old boy. It stands to reason he wouldn't view her as a pro-active character. In the book, I don't think it came across as well.

      Delete
  7. Someone else who feels the way I do about The Princess Bride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly do love the movie, but the book. I don't know, it felt so narcissistic.

      Delete
  8. What a cool idea for a post! Glad I stopped by. I agree with most of your list, but I love Louis *sigh* ... yeah, he was mopey at times, but I still love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like him in the beginning of the book, but about 1/2 way through he started getting on my nerves. It's been a long time since I've read any Anne Rice. I might have to pick her stuff up again. I've always enjoyed it.

      The Broke and the Bookish do a different themed blog hop every week. It's kind of fun. You should check it out.

      Delete
  9. Oh my, Christine for the Phantom of the Opera! How could I forget about her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was something else. I love how in Webber's version she's kind of useless and brainwashed, and in the book she's kind of useless and a, well, sorta evil.

      Delete
  10. Eustace is the only character besides Ron that I'm familiar with because I watched Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I agree, he was uber annoying and only tolerable when he turned himself into a dragon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually kind of liked the movie version of him, mostly because the actor did a spectacular job. The dragon transformation was amazing.

      Delete
  11. whiny characters drive me nuts too.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whiny characters, whiny people, they're all a pet peeve. I should be careful though, I have a tendency to get whiny myself.

      Delete
  12. I absolutely agree about Bella, but not about Ron Weasley, though. To me, he was one of the funniest characters in the Harry Potter books, I really liked him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy Drew was a favourite of mine, but I enjoyed the Hardy Boys, as well. Louis made a lousy vampire; too much of a conscience. Now Lestat; there was a fascinating character! Not overly familiar with the rest, although I have heard of them. Thanks for visiting my blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete