Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday Fictioneers: 7-13-12

This week’s photo prompt, courtesy of Madison Woods. Additional Fictioneers can be found here.

buzzard 


Regular Visitor


Everyone thinks of the bird as a kind of a rock star. Each morning, it flies over town and perches on the branches of the dead cottonwood tree located in the center of the old graveyard. All day it rests there, barely moving, watching the visitors, not leaving until the sun starts slithering beneath the horizon. Most believe the bird was a pet, it’s daily pilgrimage a sign of the grief it feels for losing its master, though no one knows who that might be. Not me. I know the bird’s true purpose.

 In a burst of creativity, I ended up writing a second story for this prompt as well. If you want, you can read it here.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! So what is the bird's true purpose? And I'm also curious about this town. This could be the beginning of a great novel. :)

    Here's my story for your readers. http://nwfantasywriter.blogspot.com/2012/07/friday-fictioneers-omen.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing. I've got a vague idea that combines this FF piece with last weeks and see what happens. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh, lovely hook at the end, Jess! Love the 'slithering sun', too.

    Mine's here: http://www.lazuli-portals.com/flash-fiction/tideline-transition

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bird is a watcher. Something is coming and your MC knows what up. Great story. Though it sounds like more of an introduction to an even greater story. I hope you expand on this. Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inclined to agree with you. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Definitely got my curiosity going. Creative story! Tons of potential for a novel or a series.

    http://ebooksscifi.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/malignant-narcissist-by-ilyan-kei-lavanway-for-madison-woods-friday-fictioneers-100-word-flash-fiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's good, Jess. You consider dropping the short sentence, 'Not me.' The last line says it all.

    Mine's here http://russellgayer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete